Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"Almost" Boston Market Creamed Spinach

My love/hate relationship with Boston Market

 

 

Oh Boston Market....your macaroni and cheese and creamed spinach used to be my favorite.

 

 

I'd skip ordering a sandwich or type of meat and just order a large side of each of you....and polish them both off in minutes.

 

 

I then started bringing you to family Thanksgiving because I loved you that much.

 

 

My metabolizim then slowed...out of nowhere...and I learned that I could no longer eat an entire half pan of you in one sitting.

 

 

At age 23, when I could no longer eat WHATEVER I wanted whenever I wanted, my love affair with Boston Market ended.  Sad sad day.

 

 

...I then discovered this recipe and realized that I could sub skim milk for the half and half and use I can't believe its not butter and create a much lower version of the 23g of fat goodness per serving I was shoving into my belly prior.

 

White Sauce

  • 3 tablespoons butter (I used the olive oil I can't believe it's not butter and it worked fine)
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt(I use seasoned salt)
  • 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk ( I used skim)

Spinach

  • 1/2 cup sour cream ( I used fat free and it worked just fine)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 -4 tablespoons onions, minced
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 20 ounces frozen spinach, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (optional or to taste)
  • 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese(optional)


Directions:


  1. In a saucepan melt butter over medium heat until sizzling.
  2. If you are adding in the fresh garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper then saute in butter for about 2 minutes but do not brown the garlic.
  3. Whisk in the flour and 1/2 tsp seasoned salt (or white salt) until creamed together and smooth.
  4. Stir in the half and half, or milk (if using) a little at a time.
  5. Increase heat to medium and constantly whisk until the mixture becomes thick and smooth.
  6. Remove from heat; set aside.
  7. Place 2 tbsp butter in saucepan over med heat; add the 2 tbsp minced onion, and cook until transparent.
  8. Add spinach and water to pan, lower the heat, and cover.
  9. Stirring several times until the spinach is cooked.
  10. When the spinach is almost done, add the prepared white sauce, sour cream and Parmesan cheese (if using).
  11. Stir well, and simmer until completely blended.
  12. Season with more seasoned salt or white salt if desired and black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment