Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nestie Recipes Swap : One pot meal

LOVED this one!  I have really gotten into this cooking thing and I've learned very quickly that the kitchen has the ability to go from spotless to a train wreck in the matter of seconds...literally.  I've started a love affair with my crockpot for this reason.  When I got Mel's Lentil, Kielbasa and Garlic Stew for the recipe swap, I thought  "one pot AND done in under an hour?! Perfect!" 

With a few little changes, I made this awesome stew and everybody LOVED it! (yes everybody because I realized that at the end of the recipe is says "serves 10", so I had some family over!)  It was so flavorful, so filling and had everybody going back for seconds! I didn't really have any experience with lentils, so I was a little nervous, but everything went great! The lentils almost gave it the texture of a meat sauce and I will def be making this again!




Lentil, Kielbasa & Garlic Stew


















2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 pounds turkey kielbasa, cut into bite size chunks (I ended up using chicken because I couldn't find turkey!)
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups baby carrots, cut into small chunks
4 medium stalks celery, chopped
8 cloves garlic, chopped
6 cups water
2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth (or homemade)
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 1/2 bags (16 oz) lentils, picked over and rinsed


Heat oil in a large pot, then add kielbasa (divide if necessary).  Cook until brown, then then transfer to plate.
Add onion, celery and carrots to pot and cook until golden.  Add garlic and cook another minute.  Add water, broth, tomatoes and lentils to pot and bring to boil.  Reduce to medium-low and cook uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.  Stir in kielbasa and heat through.  Serve.
Serves 10.



Thanks Mel for an awesome, flavorful recipe!

4 comments:

  1. This totally caught my eye from the swap! I'm definitely putting this on the menu soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! I've never cooked lentils either but now I'm anxious to try it out.

    Thanks for being part of the recipe swaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, you won't be disappointed! It was so good! I'm not a big leftovers person unless I can use it in a different way, but I actually wanted this the next day! So good.

    Haha Sarah I know, I was like you have to cook them?! HOW?! It went great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked it! We're big fans of lentils here so it's become a regular with us as well. Perfect for this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete